Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Relax with a Good Book. In Whatever Format.

Our collective cultural anxiety over the print vs. digital issue is really bothering me today. I just read yet another rehash of the issue at Publishers Weekly called The Digital Revolution in Children's Publishing.

Personally, I am a die-hard print fan who hates reading on the computer, beyond work-related requirements. That doesn’t mean that I’m not interested in seeing where the whole print vs. digital issue will go, or how it will be resolved. I don’t think that’ll happen for decades, however. And frankly, I’ve become terribly tired of reading about yet another panel, conference, debate or discussion about who, what, where, when, why and how digital will supplant print as the format of choice. We need to take a breath, step back and let this all go wherever it will. Our apparent need to analyze, meta-analyze and re-analyze does not allow us to predict or control the future.

So take a break, everyone. Maybe let the future sort itself out while you relax with a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment